Thursday, March 13, 2008

Austinist Party!!!

I started off my SXSW at the Austinist party, and kicked of my music orgy with Phosphorescent. The inside venue at Mohawk was so packed that I was forced to stand in the back. Unfortunately, I am not gifted with David’s height so I could not truly see the band (only glimpses of a bearded singer). To add to my troubles, the sound was a little crappy in the back, but I could tell from the crowd that they were doing a great job!

Then, I managed to catch a little of Shearwater on the outside stage. Despite the fact that they have two current members of Okkervil River in their band, I just couldn’t get into them in the way I can with Okkervil. Oh well.

I left Shearwater a little early to go inside for a better spot for Liam Finn. Please do not miss them while they are in town! They put on a great show that makes me love their album even more. *Does this happen to you? I find that if a band is great live, I will almost automatically love their studio work.

Next up – back outside for the Shout Out Louds. Let me tell you people — Shout Out Louds are the real deal! I had an absolute blast! This was my first time to see them live and I look forward to catching them at least one more time this week (they are playing like eleventy billion shows).

After the Austinist party, I managed to catch up with my wife, Dave, and Lashford for some grub at the Iron Cactus. This is only worth mentioning because they RAN OUT OF GUAC and QUESADILLAS!!! How does this happen? Seriously?! As a Tex Mex joint – during SXSW – how do you not stock up on avocados and freaking tortillas????